No one should have to live alone with sadness and despair. Sadness or downswings in mood are normal reactions to life’s struggles, setbacks, and disappointments. Many people use the word “depression” to explain these kinds of feelings, but depression is much more than just sadness.
Some people describe depression as “living in a black hole” or having a feeling of impending doom others feel lifeless, empty, and apathetic, or men in particular may even feel angry, aggressive, and restless.
Whatever the symptoms, depression is different from normal sadness in that it engulfs your day-to-day life, interfering with your ability to work, study, eat, sleep, and have fun. The feelings of helplessness, hopelessness, and worthlessness are intense and unrelenting, with little, if any, relief.
If you identify with several of the following signs and symptoms—especially the first two—and they just won’t go away, you may be suffering from depression.
- you feel hopeless and helpless
- you’ve lost interest in friends, activities, and things you used to enjoy
- you feel tired all the time
- your sleep and appetite has changed
- you can’t concentrate or find that previously easy tasks are now difficult
- you can’t control your negative thoughts, no matter how much you try
- you are much more irritable, short-tempered, or aggressive than usual
- you’re consuming more alcohol than normal or engaging in other reckless behaviour
If you're struggling to cope with overwhelming stress, you might benefit from seeking anxiety treatment. At PPS we understand how difficult it can be to live with anxiety.
Anxiety can keep you from carrying on with your life normally. Worry and fear are constant and overwhelming, and can be disabling. But with treatment, many people can manage those feelings and get back to a fulfilling life.
- Panic, fear, and uneasiness
- Sleep problems
- Not being able to stay calm and still
- Cold, sweaty, numb or tingling hands or feet
- Shortness of breath
- Heart palpitations
- Dry mouth
- Tense muscles
Our goal is to give you the resources you'll need in order to live a more peaceful and productive life, and throughout your time with us. We'll strive to help you find effective strategies for coping with your anxiety, and we'll treat you with care, compassion, and respect throughout the process.
At PPS we have the experience needed to create a comfortable and safe environment, and our services are completely confidential. We care about your health, happiness, and overall well-being, and we want to help you work towards a happier future.
Contact us now.